Party Wall Surveys (service temporarily unavailable)

If you are undertaking building work which affects an adjoining property under separate ownership or if you are the owner of that property, you may need a Party Wall award. 

This provides a record of the condition of the neighbouring property before and after the works. If the works have impacted upon the condition of the neighbouring property, there is then the right for a claim for rectification of any damage. 

A Party Wall Surveyor is appointed to accurately record the condition and to report on protective measures to undertake. Sometimes the owner of each property would appoint their own Party Wall Surveyor with the two then looking to agree the documentation. However, it is also quite common to save costs by both neighbours agreeing to appoint the same Surveyor.

Examples of work that can be covered by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 includes three areas, namely –

- Construction of new boundary walls

- Excavation close to neighbouring properties

- Alteration to party walls or floors (‘party structures’)

Examples within these areas include –

- Underpinning a party wall

- Removal of a Chimney breast that is attached to the party wall

- A loft conversion where beams are cut into a party wall. 

Once instructed to carry out a Survey, we are normally able to provide our report within a week and can often, if necessary meet tighter deadlines where required. Larger portfolios may of course take longer but we will discuss implications with you at an early stage.

At Websters, we are Chartered Surveyors, regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. Our services span most of London and some surrounding areas including Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex and parts of Surrey and Sussex. 

Please contact us if you would like to discuss your requirements on 020 8017 1943.

Call now for friendly advice: